This is the perfect coconut smoothie recipe right here. It’s creamy, but not too rich. The vanilla accents are subtle and go so well together with the coconut!
Have it as a breakfast smoothie, quick snack, as a dessert or after a workout to replenish your electrolyte levels. This smoothie recipe is paleo and vegan (if you don’t use honey). Let’s dig in:
- 1 – 1½ cups fresh coconut water (extracted from fresh, young coconut)
- 1 cup fresh coconut meat (from fresh young coconut), chopped*
- 1-2 very ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1 tsp Sunny Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- ½ to 1 cup of ice cubes
- 1-2 tbsp pure honey or maple syrup (optional)
- ¼ cup almond milk (optional)
* Make sure the coconut meat is free from the brown skin of the husk, or you’ll have weird chunks in your smoothie. Also, try to find very young coconut – the flesh will be soft and jelly-like in texture. Older coconuts will have thicker and harder meat – when you blend them the smoothie will have a gritty texture.
- Chop the frozen bananas into chunks. Add them into a blender along with chopped coconut meat, vanilla bean powder and ice. Pour just enough coconut water to cover.*
- Blend the mixture until smooth, adding more coconut water as you go along. Add almond milk, if using.
- Add honey or maple syrup, if using, and blend one final time.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
* If using honey, do not add it at the beginning, as the contact with ice will turn them toffee-like and make them stick on the blender walls.